Do you play games on your gaming console a lot? These devices were originally designed only for gaming. But as technology has advanced, most video game consoles may now stream movies to your chosen streaming app – offering convenience, broad streaming capabilities, and ease of use. So if you own one of the latest PlayStation or Xbox consoles, you now have instant access to unlimited entertainment right within the comfort of your living room.
In this blog post, we will explore how exactly you can turn your gaming console into an easy-to-use streaming machine that puts all the latest flicks at the tip of your thumbs. Let’s dive in!
How to Stream Movies on PlayStation 5
If you use a Playstation 5, you already know that this device has a fantastic multimedia machine with cutting-edge technology. It has a wide range of unique features that can also be used for streaming services like Netflix, Disney Plus, Go Latino TV, and Hulu to watch movies and television programs. This means that you may use it for more than just playing the newest games.
Here’s how to watch movies on your PS5
- Start the console, then tap the main menu.
- Click the R1 button to access Media on your PlayStation 5 dashboard.
- Download-only applications will appear on your device if you have not yet installed any streaming apps. It must be installed first.
- Search through any installed streaming applications you may have and select the show you want to stream.
- If you can’t find the app you’re looking for to stream movies and shows from, you may download more media apps by tapping “All Apps” or you can look through the suggested options and select “download.”
- Start streaming movies and TV shows by clicking on the desired app and logging in.
How to Stream Movies on Xbox Series X or S
The Xbox series X or S allows you to stream movies up to 4K HD resolution. Given its excellent features, this console is ideal for both streaming movies and gaming. You may stream movies on XBOX in three different ways, including using Blu-rays and DVDs, a range of apps, and buying and renting movies from the XBOX Store.
Xbox Streaming via Streaming Services
Here is a guide for streaming movies on Xbox Series X and S using various streaming apps. Remember that since you can download streaming applications for free, some of them will require a paid subscription to access their content.
- On your Xbox Series X or S, open the “Store” app, and then use the “Search” button.
- Put the name of the streaming service you want, such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, etc., in the text box.
- Tap the streaming application based on the search results.
- On the Stream app, click Get or Install.
- After installing and opening the app, you can begin choosing a movie and start streaming.
Xbox Streaming via Movie Rental
Directly from Microsoft, you may rent and buy movies in addition to the use of streaming providers. However, if you choose to rent it, you only have 24 hours to stream the movie.
Here is a guide on how to buy and rent movies on your Xbox Series X or S.
- On your controller, select “Guide,” and then hit “Xbox Home.”
- Then, tap “Movies & TV”.
- Click “Movies”
- Choose the movie from the list that you want to stream.
- Select the desired format by clicking “Choose Format,” such as “Buy in UHD” or “Rent in UHD.”
- Input your billing information to complete the purchase. After that, you may start streaming movies.
Xbox Streaming via Blu-Rays and DVDs
As a great multimedia device for streaming movies, Xbox Series X is capable of playing Blu-ray discs. This device supports the optional download of a Blu-ray player app. Remember that since the Xbox series S is a digital-only console, this is only applicable to the Xbox series X.
Here’s how you can use your Xbox Series X to watch Blu-rays and DVDs.
- Click the “Guide” button first and then select “store”
- Select the “Search” tab.
- Press the “Blu-ray Player” icon.
- Tap “Install” or “Get.”
- You may now insert a disc into your Xbox Series X.
- Open the Blu-ray Player application.
- Now that your disc is playing, you may start watching movies.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Game Consoles to Stream Movies
Like other devices, gaming consoles are not perfect. So, it is good to know the advantages and disadvantages before using gaming consoles to stream your favourite movies.
- Convenience: With game consoles, you don’t need to buy a separate streaming device or clutter your TV with extra devices. Game consoles also provide built-in support for popular streaming platforms, so getting your favourite content up and running is easy.
- Entertainment Options: Streaming through a game console provides access to a wide variety of entertainment options. Whether you want to watch the latest movie releases, catch up on episodes of your favourite TV series, or play exciting video games, game consoles have it all.
- Value: Game consoles are typically cheaper than dedicated streaming devices, given the features you get, making them a great value for those who want to stream their favourite content.
- Output/Input Support: While game consoles are designed for streaming, they may not support all types of output/inputs, such as HDMI or optical audio. This can limit the type of devices you can use with your console and potentially cut down on the quality of your streaming experience.
- Limited Platform Support: While game consoles have built-in support for popular streaming platforms, they may not support all of the services you want to use. This can limit your options and make it difficult to find the content you’re looking for.
- Lag: Streaming movies on a game console can cause the movie you’re watching to lag or stutter, which can ruin your viewing experience. This is especially true when playing online games, as streaming movies and gaming simultaneously can put a strain on the console’s hardware.
Using a gaming console is definitely simple as you follow each step in this article. You can appreciate your viewing experience owing to its user-friendliness. Indeed, the versatility of gaming consoles—which allow you to watch movies and play games—keeps them from losing popularity. Thanks to the new generation of these top-notch devices produced by industry giants like Sony and Microsoft.