Welcome to our complete guide on making tons of gold in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands with Alchemy! Alchemy is a very fun profession and has tons of useful stuff that you can make and sell. Here we will go in-depth about everything you’re going to need to buff up your profits. And even if gold-farming isn’t your primary concern, we will guide you on how to level up Alchemy in WoW Shadowlands the best way!
Now, generating gold with this profession shouldn’t be hard for anyone, especially a new player in WoW. Your profit will depend on your own personal performance, but on your server’s economy as well. Generally, you’ll want to sell your oils, flasks, and potions at the Auction House for the fastest return of your invested time. However, you can also spam the general chat or your guild’s chat for some pretty good deals.
That said, let’s jump into the complete guide on how to make gold with Alchemy in WoW Shadowlands!
Are you playing with blacksmithing? Check our in-depth guide on blacksmithing in WoW Shadowlands!
Making Gold with our WoW Alchemy Guide
Why is Alchemy Important in World of Warcraft?
Since the dawn of time, Alchemy has provided us with the necessary buffs to complete the game’s content on any higher level of difficulty. As we mentioned above, the flasks and the potions are back in Shadowlands. And they’re absolutely needed for any mythic plus dungeon or Castle Nathria raid.
If you haven’t picked it up before, you’ll find that Alchemy has tons of new recipes in this expansion. There are flasks and potions with varied combat buffs, like an increase in shadow damage, ability range, or just movement speed. These are very interesting additions to your character’s power and can be quite helpful in many situations.
Another thing that was brought back from the past in Shadowlands is the oils. These are consumables that players can use to buff up their damage. As you may know, the gearing in this expansion is much slower than previously, so any additional power we may get is doubled in worth. The oils are quite useful and they can really impact the damage your character can do. They will be sought by both melee classes like Warriors and Paladins and ranged classes like Mage or Warlock. So, it’s a good way to make some profit.
And lastly, don’t get disheartened by the fact that Alchemy can’t create any Legendary Items. If we take Jewelcrafting, for example, we can see that it provides Legendaries for the necklace and ring slots only, and nothing else. But Alchemy has ways of satisfying every character in the game, regardless of their items or covenants’ choice. So, don’t hesitate to use our WoW Shadowlands Alchemy guide in your own game!
Making gold with Tailoring? Double your profit with our Tailoring guide!
How to Start with Alchemy in WoW Shadowlands?
Shadowlands WoW Alchemy Guide Trainer Location in Oribos
To start making gold with Alchemy, you first need to learn the profession. So head over to Oribos and find the Alchemy trainer Elixirist Au’pyr. This NPC is located in the Hall of Shapes, in the second part, counting from the left. The exact coordinates are 39.2, 40.4 and you can find him next to the Herbalism trainer, amidst magical flasks and potions.
Elixirist Au’pyr will teach you [Shadowlands Alchemy] and will let you start crafting the Alchemy recipes right away. But before you do that, you’ll also need to check the Alchemy supplies vendor, called Distributor Au’naci. This NPC stands next to the Alchemy trainer, so there is no way of missing it.
Among other things, Distributor Au’naci can sell you [Rune Etched Vial]. This will be the main vial you’ll be using for creating flasks and potions in Shadowlands. So we recommend buying a stack or two right away as well.
The exact location of the Alchemy trainer in Oribos is shown in this picture:
Guide to Choosing a Class and a Race for Gold-making with Alchemy in WoW Shadowlands
Truth is, Alchemy doesn’t require any specific class or race. Currently, only Goblins provide a bonus skill points in Alchemy, thanks to their [Better Living Through Chemistry] passive trait. Kul Tirans have kind of similar effect with [Jack of All Trades], but it shouldn’t be a deciding factor. And as far as the class choice is concerned, everything will work great with this profession.
That said, you’ll want to consider the Alchemy materials too. As you may know, the herbs come primarily from the Herbalism profession in Shadowlands. And if you aren’t planning on spending a fortune at the Auction House on raw herbs, then you’re going to need to farm them.
Now, we have an extensive guide on how to farm herbs with Herbalism efficiently in Shadowlands, so we recommend checking it out. And for that, you’ll want a class that is generally very mobile or packed with multiple movement speed buffs. Our personal choice for outdoor farming is a Druid since the [Travel Form] in the Guardian Specialization really makes a difference. However, if you do not wish to farm the herbs yourself, then prepare to invest your gold at the AH.
Shadowlands Alchemy Materials
The herbs in Shadowlands are divided into zone-specific herbs and general herbs. This means that some could be farmed only in one zone, while another in all zones available. Needless to say, almost all will be needed for the Alchemy recipes we’ll be targeting.
- Rising Glory – Gathered in Bastion.
- Vigil’s Torch – Gathered in Ardenweald.
- Widowbloom – Gathered in Revendreth.
- Marrowroot – Gathered in Maldraxxus.
- Death Blossom – Gathered in Bastion, Ardenweald, Revendreth, and Maldraxxus.
- Nightshade – Gathered in Bastion, Ardenweald, Revendreth, Maldraxxus, and The Maw.
- Rune Etched Vial – purchased from the Alchemy Supplies vendor in Oribos.
- Distilled Death Extract – purchased from the Alchemy Supplies vendor in Oribos.
One more thing that’s new to Alchemy in Shadowlands is the addition of Extracts. With Extracts, you combine multiple herbs to create new transmute reagents. And these will be required in both Alchemy and other professions as well. Here are all the Extracts in Shadowlands!
- Ground Death Blossom – Requires Death Blossom.
- Ground Rising Glory – Requires Rising Glory.
- Ground Marrowroot – Requires Marrowroot.
- Ground Nightshade – Requires Nightshade.
- Ground Vigil’s Torch – Requires Vigil’s Touch.
- Ground Widowbloom – Requires Widowbloom.
Leveling Up Shadowlands Alchemy
With this guide we want to provide you a clear path on how to level up Alchemy in WoW Shadowlands. This way you can save up on additional expenses and use your materials on useful items. Leveling up from 1 to 175 in Alchemy can be kind of slow, so here are approximate numbers for you to know how many of each material you’re going to need.
Rune Etched Vial = 140
Death Blossom = 330
Rising Glory = 180
Marrowroot = 110
Vigil’s Torch = 100
Widowbloom = 70
1-175 Leveling Path
- 1-20: Create 8 x [Spiritual Healing Potion] with 16 x Death Blosom. Create 8 x [Spiritual Mana Potion] with 16 x Death Blossom. And Creater 8 x [Spiritual Rejuvantion Potion] with the other two.
- 20-30: Create 12 x [Ground Death Blossom] with 26 x Death Blossom.
- 30-45: Create 15 x [Potion of the Hidden Spirit] with 30 x Death Blossom and 45 Rising Glory.
- 45-55: Create 10 x [Ground Marrowroot] with 20 x Marrowroot.
- 55-60: Create 5 x [Potion of Soul Purity] with 10 x Death Blossom and 15 x Vigil’s Torch.
- 60-80: Create 28 x [Potion of Specter Swiftness] with 56 x Death Blossom and 84 x Marrowroot.
- 80-97: Create 22 x [Ground Vigil’s Torch] with 44 x Vigil’s Torch.
- 97-100: Create 3 x [Potion of the Psychopomp’s Speed] with 9 x Rising Glory and 9 x Vigil’s Torch.
- 100-100: Create 10 x [Potion of Hardened Shadows] with 30 x Rising Glory and 30 x Vigil’s Torch.
- 110-120: Create 14 x [Ground Widowbloom] with 28 x Widowbloom.
- 120-125: Create 7 x [Potion of Sacrificial Anima] with 42 x Widowbloom.
- 125-157: Create 38 x [Crafter’s Mark I] with 190 x Death Blossom, 38 x Rune Etched Vial, and 114 x Distilled Death Extract
- 157-170: Create 17 x [Potion of Spectral Intellect] with 85 x Marrowroot.
- 170-175: Complete the Alchemy World Quests.
Shadowlands Alchemy World Quests
An excellent source of Alchemy skill points can be the profession-specific World Quests. This occur randomly in one of the four zones in the Shadowalnds at a time, so make sure to keep an eye on them. They’re usually very simple and reward you with +1 skill in Alchemy, as well as some herbs like Death Blossom. Keep in mind that you can repeat this quests whenever they spawn.
- Alchemy: Flask of Measured Discipline – in Bastion.
- Alchemy: Draught of Grotesque Strength – in Maldraxxus.
- Alchemy: Potion of Hibernal Rest – in Ardenweald.
- Alchemy: Elixir of Humility – in Revendreth.
Which Recipes to Target for Making Gold in Shadowlands?
Trying to make gold with Enchanting? Check our Enchanting guide!
As mentioned earlier, in Shdowlands we categorize the Alchemy recipes primarily into three groups: flasks, potions, and oils. In this guide here we will list examples of which recipes to target for maximising your gold-making with alchemy in WoW Shadowlands.
- Spectral Flask of Power – 650 gold a piece on average.
- Spectral Flask of Stamina – 250 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Deathly Fixation – 200 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Empowered Exorcisms – 350 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Phantom Fire – 200 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Spectral Agility – 200 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Spectral Intellect – 220 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Spectral Stamina – 80 gold a piece on average.
- Potion of Spectral Strength – 200 gold a piece on average.
Additional Recipes and Transmogs
If you’re a type of person that isn’t dedicated solely on gold-making in WoW, then Alchemy can be a source of a few interesting rewards for you.
First off, we have the [Eternal Cauldron] recipe. This is unlocked at 175 Alchemy in Shadowlands and it allows the user to set a cauldron of potions for every group or raid member. It requires 8 x Spectral Flask of Power and 2 x Shadestone, but it’s well worth the trade.
Basically, it gives everyone a flask that increases their primary stat. But, everyone can grab up to flasks maximum (one used and one in inventory). This should be an essential component to every raid, so if your character has already a leveled-up Alchemy, know that you can be of a huge help to your guild.
And the other most interesting thing is the [Red Noggin Candle] transmog piece. This is a cosmetic item for your head slot and it’s a lit up candle! The recipe for it can be bought in Revendreth, in the crypts of Halls of Atonement. The item is a reference to the kobold candles, which should be very well known to any WoW veteran!
Farming herbs and ores around Shadowlands? Check out the necessary addons you’ll need!
In our own experience, Alchemy has been very profitable as a gold-generating tool in WoW Shadowlands. Despite it not being one of the professions that create Legendary Items, the base recipes are far too valuable to not be taken advantage of. Flasks, potions, and oils, are required by anyone, so you can have an easy time selling your stuff on the Auction House.
We hope that this guide on how to make gold in WoW Shadowlands with Alchemy as your go-to profession helped you out! Please know that the informations we provided may be slightly different in your own region or server. However, all of the content is applicable right away and guarantees a success in gold-farming and efficiency!